Wilderness Light -Photography by Mark and Leslie Degner
What are Polaroid Transfers?
Although you probably didn't realize it, you have most likely seen them many times. They are widely used in advertising by commercial and fashion photographers and commonly used by fine-art photographers to create stunning prints. A Polaroid Transfer is an image taken on certain Polaroid films, then the image is transfered onto an alternative surface, such as watercolour paper, fabric, glass, or tiles. Although you can copy the Polaroid Transfer using Photoshop and 'photo frames' the images created in that way do not have the same qualities as doing transfers the traditional way. There are two types of Polaroid Transfers: Image transfers and Emulsion transfers.
Image Transfers: An Image transfer is made by taking the dyes from the developing Polaroid film's negative side (the part you normally throw away) and transfering them onto an alternative (semi-porous) surface like watercolour paper.
Emulsion Transfer: An Emulsion transfer is made by removing the film's emulsion from the Polaroid's positive side (the print side) after it has developed and transfering it onto an alternative (semi-porus or smooth) surface.
Row Boat (Image Transfer)
Row Boat (Emulsion Transfer)
Image Transfer - Row Boat
Emulsion Transfer - Row Boat


Typewriter Keys (Image Transfer)
Typewriter Keys (Emulsion Transfer)
Image Transfer - Typewriter Keys
Emulsion Transfer - Typewriter Keys